What happens if a father cannot get to the courthouse in time to sign the custody papers? 2 Answers as of August 12, 2011

My question is in regards to a situation going on with a friend. She is seventeen and is hoping to move in with her father who has no legal custody over her. Fortunately, her mother has granted her permission since she will be eighteen in a couple of months. But her father has to come to their state to sign custody papers but for whatever reason, he cannot come down in enough time before her school starts. So I wanted know if the custody papers be faxed to his courthouse where he lives and signed there then faxed back? S.N.she lives in Georgia and he lives in Virginia.

Custody papers can't get faxed. Courts need originals. For people who cannot travel, Fed Ex can get things back and for the overnight.