What happens if an undocumented immigration pays taxes? 4 Answers as of September 14, 2010

I have a friend who came to the US without inspection. This person would like to become a permanent resident. If he pays income and other taxes, will this increase his chances of becoming a citizen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is it depends. If your friend has paid taxes using someone elses Social Security number, that is identity theft and Social Security fraud, and can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years in federal detention, and a permanent ban from legally immigrating to the USA. If your friend has applied for and used a registered Tax ID (non-Social Security number), then he is in compliance with the law and is actually in better position for applying for permanent legal residency. If your friend (or you) want to have the assistance of an attorney, by all means give me an e-mail or call me at the number below, and I'll gladly set up an appointment to speak with you and/or your friend.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/14/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
NO, not at all. If the person entered the US unlawfully (without inspection) and no one had filed a petition on his/her behalf prior to April 30, 2001, under the current immigration laws there is no way for him/her to legalize the status within the US, regardless of whether they have been paying taxes in the US.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/13/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
No. By filing income taxes itself will not lead to permanent resident status. Rather, it would be conclusive evidence of working illegally in the United States. However, filing tax return has the advantage of documenting your stay in the United States and indication of good moral character.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/13/2010
Click to View More Answers: