What happens after a second DUI? 14 Answers as of May 04, 2015

I was recently arrested for my second DUI. I went through the first proceeding on my own but am scared because this is my second time. What am I facing for a second DUI?

Law Office of Alexis Plunkett
Law Office of Alexis Plunkett | Alexis Plunkett
The possible penalties for a DUI 2nd in Nevada include 10 days to 6 months in jail, a fine of around $1100, victim impact panel, DUI school, Coroner's DUI program, a possible drug and alcohol dependency evaluation, and a possible license suspension. A DUI 2nd is a serious charge and you should look into retaining an attorney.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
It largely depends on the BAC. If it is .08-.099% you could be looking at a 12 month license suspension, 5 days to six months jail time, a fine of between $300-$2,500, alcohol highway safety school, treatment when ordered and a 1 years ignition interlock on your car. For BAC levels between .10 and .159% a person receives a 12 month suspension of his license, prison time ranging from 30 days to six months, a fine ranging from $750 to $5,000, alcohol highway safety school, treatment when ordered and a 1 year ignition lock. For BAC levels .16% and above a person faces a 1st degree misdemeanor on his record, an 18 month license suspension, 90 days to 5 years imprisonment, a fine ranging from $1,500 to $10,000. alcohol highway safety school, treatment when ordered and a 1 year ignition interlock on their car.
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
In Texas for someone over the age of 21, it is called DWI. It carries up to 1 year in jail and up to a $4,000 fine. If your prior conviction was within 5 years, your license will suspended upon conviction for 2 years including one that is "hard" meaning that you cannot get an occupational license. You need a lawyer ASAP so they can request an ALR hearing on your driver's license matter.
Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
A second DUI carries enhanced penalties including potential jail time. Consult with an attorney to discuss all issues and options.
Connell-Savela
Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
2nd DUI results in mandatory jail, but there are exceptions if the 1st was outside of 5 years Each case is different and needs an experienced DUI lawyer. Let me know if you want to discuss representation.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Second time DUI increases the fines, 18 month DUI class, 5 year probation and jail.
    Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
    Mandatory jail time; you need to hire an attorney or see if you qualify for a public defender
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    In Utah, a second DUI within 10 years means you will have your Driver's License suspended for two years and you will likely be sentenced to 10 days in jail. You are also looking at over a thousand dollars in fines. It would be a good idea to have an attorney to help you fight the charge.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    With a 2nd DUI, your county may have DUI Court, this will help you avoid jail time but it is an extensive program that has shown to reduce repeat violations in the future. If not DUI Court, a second DUI will provide for more mandatory jail time, mandatory treatment, suspension of drivers license, must turn in your license plates, subject to having you picture posted in the news paper. You should reach out to an attorney in the county where your charges are pending and have them look at the facts that surround the arrest, you may have a case to fight. If you get another (3rd in 10 years from the first) it is a high and aggravated misdemeanor and a 4th is a Felony. Good luck.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    A license revocation plus the possibility of jail.
    Take a look at this: http://www.theduispecialist.com/dui_penalties.html
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    It depends on what type of DUI both were and what your BAC levels were, but in Arizona you are facing substantially more jail time and higher fines than the first time. Please be advised that if you get a third DUI within a few years then it becomes a felony. It is also a felony if you get a DUI with your license still restricted from another DUI. Then you would be facing 4 months in the Department of Corrections. In other words, it is going to go up a good bit this second time but if you get a third one then the consequence are really going to jump.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    In MN a 2nd DUI is charged as either a 3rd Degree DUI ore 2nd Degree DUI depending on if any aggravating circumstances are involved in your case. You should certainly contact an attorney and discuss the facts of your case. If convicted there certainly may be jail time and the assistance of a good attorney could mitigate the consequences.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    For one, mandatory jail time, you are in some serious trouble and need to retain a criminal attorney immediately.