What happens after my Internet Provider sends me a letter regarding copyright infringement? 2 Answers as of January 12, 2011

I received a letter a couple of days ago from my internet provider. They said I have been caught illegally downloading a movie, the Hurt Locker and that Voltage productions filed a subpoena. We can file an Objection letter but is that effective? Is there any other way to solve this problem?

Fish & Associates, PC
Fish & Associates, PC | Robert D. Fish
I would have to see the letter. If you have been illegally downloading content, then stop doing that, and get an attorney to represent you. A subpoena usually means that the plaintiff is serious. If you are innocent of the charges, then try to find out why they singled you out, and offer to be as supportive as possible in getting down to the truth.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Just sit tight - chances are nothing will come of it. Note that if the movie was registered with the copyright office within 90 days of first publication they may sue for statutory damages. Besides a subpoena requires a lawsuit to be filed first.