What happens after I was caught smoking drugs in a hotel room in Alabama? 3 Answers as of April 11, 2011

I was in a hotel in Huntsville when I was arrested. I was caught smoking methamphetamines, and marijuana was found in the room. What will happen if the cops found me?

Eversole Law, LLC
Eversole Law, LLC | Steven Eversole
The good news is that the cops probably did not have a warrant to enter your hotel room. Unless you invited them in to the room or consented to asearch you may have a very good Fourth Amendment challenge to the legality of any seized evidence, such as the methamphetamine and weed. Otherwise, you are looking at a possible felony charge for the meth and although you didn't say how much marijuana was found, likely a misdemeanor charge for the pot. A class C felony in Alabama is punishable by from 1 to 10 years in prison. I highly recommend you contact a skilled drug crimes lawyer as soon as possible. If you have any further questions you may reach me. I have also included a great deal of helpful information on Alabama Drug Crimes on my website and my Alabama Criminal Defense Blog.
I am confused by your inquiry because I equate "caught" with "found," but possession of meth is a class C felony, and possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor. Don't talk to anyone about it, except your lawyer. You will not help yourself if you talk to police without counsel.
You would normally be charged with possession of marij. 1st or 2nd depending on the quantity. 1st is a felony and 2nd is a misdemeanor. They would also charge you with the meth which is a felony. Get an attorney quick if you can afford one. Call me if you have any questions.