What happens after being charged with retail theft? Posted on April 20, 2011

I was in a store and ordered food. When I went to go pay for the food I asked the attendant if she could also ring me up for a drink and told her that I would get it when I was leaving because I had a long wait in line for my food. I got the drink when it came close to my order being called and sat it on the counter as I waited for my food. Once my food was called I handed the receipt to the server and grabbed my juice and attempted to leave the store. While this occurred the security guard stopped me and asked did I pay for the drink. I replied yes and left the store. Later that night I was stopped by the police and arrested for retail theft. I was given a citation that explained that I had 10 days to make a plea of guilty or not guilty. When I went to the office within the 10 day period to make a plea, they told me that my fingerprints had not yet come in and that I had to wait until they did before I could do anything. The officer informed me that if I did not respond within 10 days that a warrant could be issued for my arrest. This occurred in Pennsylvania about 3 weeks ago. What can I do at this point?