What is a good settlement amount if I fell in a manhole? 10 Answers as of March 31, 2014

I fell in a manhole that was not level with the parking lot. I fractured my elbow, sprained the other elbow and both wrists, my hip is sore and so is my knee. They have paid $5000 in medical bills and I still owe $1000. They offered me $11,000. Is this good or bad?

In Michigan, if the defect was visible, your case would be worthless.
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
It all depends on your medical status. IF you are healed from all the injuries and the liability is clear this could be a $30,000-$50,000 case. However, if it is a disputed liability case, it can range from zero to upwards $10,000-$15,000.00. If you have longer lasting injuries this could be worth in six figures.
Almost every day we get a request for evaluation of a claim. We cannot respond to such a request, as there are simply too many elements to be considered. These include percentage of fault, age and health and background of the claimant, the nature of the injury, the treatment, the diagnosis, the prognosis, the cost of the treatment, and the outcome. Also to be taken into account in some cases are the amount and type of insurance coverage and the name of the insurance company. Most attorneys offer a free conference. We suggest that you talk to a few lawyers. Also, you should know that an independent study showed that claimants did better, even after fees, with a lawyer than without.
You can likely get between $18K to $25K.
Case values differ significantly from case to case and place to place. Experienced injury lawyers are familiar with such values. Consider consulting one.
    Tell me how you fall into something as large and obvious as a manhole if you are sober and your eyes are open, then I will have some opinion to share perhaps.
    I slap my forehead and moan "What's worse? Walking into an open manhole, or asking lawyers who don't know you and who know nothing about your situation to evaluate your case for free?" My first piece of advice is: Get a clue! Assessment of an appropriate settlement requires detailed analysis of liability and damages, including application of legal principles, evidentiary factors, medical documentation, out of pocket expenses, calculation of future losses and experience in your jurisdiction as to likely range of prospective jury awards. Okay, so you make an attempt at stating your injures. But let's take the fracture for an example: There are different kinds of fractures. Was it an avulsion fracture? A transverse fracture? A committed fracture? Did you need surgery? Physical therapy? Guess what, there are degrees of sprain, too, just as there are degrees of burns. I could go on, but let's talk about liability. There must be something there, given the offer. Perhaps they know they are in the soup, so they are trying to buy you off fast. Maybe you have a lawyer who got this offer as an act of genius, but now you are trying to second-guess him/her. Is this a municipality or a private company? Were there violations of safety regs? Do you have witnesses? Photographs? Has the case been put into suit yet? To answer the question properly, one would need extensive examination of the entire matter. If you have a lawyer, that's who you should listen to. If not, get one.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    Do you have pictures of the manhole or can you estimate the difference in distance between the manhole and the parking lot?
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    It is ridiculously low. No attorney = low settlement.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Sounds really low to me but without knowing more I can't express a firm opinion.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa