What is going to happen with a possession of marijuana charge in California? 7 Answers as of March 02, 2011

I got a ticket for possession of less than 1 oz. on December 18, 2010 in my car. My court date is March 22, 2011 and I was wondering what I should expect to happen? Do I need a lawyer? Am I going to get my licensed suspended? I am 19 years of age and a full time student. Please help with all the information you can provide.

These types of MJ cases can often be negotiated down to an infraction or even a dismissal by an experienced attorney. Contact one ASAP. Your license should be fine.
The law was changed on Jan. 1,2011, So that less than a ounce is a infraction. You should only have to pay a fine.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
If you are not charged with anything more than the MJ and this is your first offense, you would qualify for diversion and can get the charge dismissed with no record. If you don't qualify for diversion you are in danger of losing your license for a while and getting a criminal record as well as a 2 pointer on your dmv record.Also if you are charged with driving under the infl. of drugs it will have a very negative impact. If any of those bad things are present then you should hire a good lawyer. We handle many of those cases. For more info or to retain our firm call us.
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
Don't plead guilty. If you do, your license will be suspended.
If you have no priors, your attorney may be able to get you a diversion program that will result in no suspension and no conviction on your record. No guarantees, but if serious about doing so, feel free to contact me.
    As of Jan 1, 2011 it is an infraction with a $100 fine so most courts will not hurt you. You do not need a lawyer.
    I would recommend getting an attorney to assist you in this matter. Were you driving and pulled over immediately prior to your arrest? Or were you parked when you were approached by the officer. There could also be an issue with the prosecutor potentially charging you with a VC 23152(a) charge as well, which is driving under the influence of alcohol OR drugs. Regardless, you should consult an attorney to speak about your case in more detail. Feel free to call me for a free consultation.