What going to happen to my green card if I divorce? 6 Answers as of May 16, 2011

I have been married 3 years. I don’t have my sec interview yet. My husband abused me. I want to divorce. What going to happen to my green card? What can I do? Can live like this. He controls everything. I have no money and I do not have anyone here.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
If your husband is abusive, you should not remain in such a relationship. You can file a self-petition. It will be a question of proof, however. Contact us if you are seeking help from an attorney. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect.
We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/16/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Please consult a psychologist who can write you a report regarding what is going on; then an attorney to help you prepare for your second interview (I-751). The no money part is not going to help. So, I suggest that you write down everything that is happening to you in terms of abuse and attach it to your I-751 application. If the I-751 is pending then please take the I-797 Notice they sent you and look at the address at the bottom of it and send your affidavit and documentation of abuse to that address. Let them know that the abuse is continuing as of the date of your letter and let them know that you have not left because you are afraid to lose your green card. Tell as much as you can and add support for what you say. Get affidavit from people who know your situation and can attest to it. Find a nonprofit organization or group that can help with this kind of abuse and maybe they can document your suffering for you. You should really always let a lawyer do this for you but since you have no money, I thought I would point you to the right direction. But please get help. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
You must file Form I-751 before your Conditional Residence expires or you will lose your status. If your husband is abusing you, you can file the form by yourself.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
You can self petition using the I-751 as a waiver due to the abuse. Contact my office for assistance.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/13/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You can petition for yourself as abused spouse. If you need assistance, please contact us.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/12/2011
    Pacifica Legal Services
    Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
    First, get out. Search out on the internet the nearest domestic violence center. You may file an affidavit, with your I-485, showing that you are applying under VAWA, which is the act allowing women to self-petition, with a revision of your I-485 application. You must file for divorce, and show proof that you are being abused. A family lawyer can help you, or legal aid can do so as well. If you are in the Greater Los Angeles area you may be eligible for assistance through Legal Aid of Los Angeles. Check them out on the Internet.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: