What is going to happen to my 17-year-old in juvenile court? 2 Answers as of April 13, 2011

My daughter has to go to juvenile court because she was arrested for petty theft charges and possession of marijuana. She had a very small amount of marijuana on her. What will happen to her since she is 17?

Mercado & Hartung
Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
Your daughter should speak with an attorney. The possession of marijuana charge can result in jail time, a fine, a license suspesion and can prevent her from getting federal student loans for college. The theft charge will also impact her ability to get certain jobs later in life. Convictions of juveniles crimes remain on your criminal history in adulthood. Please feel free to give me a call for more information.
In all likelihood, if she will be 18 within the next 6 to 9 months, the prosecutor will charge her as an adult. If this is a first offense, she may be offered diversion in juvenile court. If she succeeds in diversion, the case will be dismissed. She will have to have an alcohol and drug evaluation and attend a petty theft class. If she is charged as an adult, she would be facing 24 hours of jail time if she pleads guilty or is found guilty by a jury. I strongly recommend your daughter undergo a alcohol-drug evaluation as soon as humanly possible. If you can tell me what county this occurred in I could give you much more detail. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss this further.