What's going to happen if I live made a dumb idea of trying to get away with a $30 item and got caught? 5 Answers as of December 03, 2014

The lady told me I will get a fine from the store and possibly be prosecuted. This is my first time getting in trouble. I'm 17 years old.

Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
You could be prosecuted and a fine and court costs could be assessed. If it is your first offense have an attorney, either retained or court appointed, advocate for dismissal depending on all facts or diversion.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Theft from a store of something valued under $200 is a misdemeanor in Michigan and could result in jail time and fines in your case of up to $500. Given the low value of the item that you stole and your clean criminal record, I would guess that if anything, only a fine would be in order. It is always beneficial, however, to at least sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area to get a better idea of what could result.
They may prosecute you. The good news is that if this is your first offense jail is unlikely. Also, you may qualify for a diversion program or other sentencing options that could keep the matter off your public record. I would recommend you retain an experienced criminal defense attorney from your area.
VALENTE SCHARG & ASSOCIATES | DEAN VALENTE
Shoplifting or Retail Fraud as it is now called in Michigan for a 1st time offender will most likely result in probation not jail, but the offense carries max of up to $93 days in jail and/or up to 2 years probation and/or $500 fine + court costs. They are ways for 1st time offenders your age to keep convictions in such matters off our public record and allow you to honestly say you haven't been convicted of a crime. I suggest you hire a good local attorney and them work this out for you. As for the store, the law does permit to up to $100 in civil penalties to be paid by the offender to the business victim. Your payment of the civil fine DOES NOT prevent the criminal retail fraud charges from going forward - I.E. If you pay company it does you no good. ?I do not recommend paying the store if & until they actually sue you for it. In my decades of practice, I have NEVER heard of any company independently pursuing civil damage...so your $ is better spent on hiring an attorney. Good luck.
You will be charged with retail fraud third degree. It's very serious and you should hire an attorney immediately to try and keep your criminal record clean. Go to your parents for help if needed.