What's going to happen if I got caught shoplifting twice where the fisrt one got dismissed? 7 Answers as of March 10, 2014

In 2012 I was with a friend and she got caught shoplifting. I was with her so I got in trouble too. I went to court and it was dismissed. I volunteered to go to theft classes cause my friend did not want to do it alone, but I never got fined for it. Today I went to to the store and did some shopping. I went to the self check out and I actually forgot to pay for some things, I was walking out and realized that I did not pay for it but I walked away anyways. Well I got stopped. My question is what will happen since the first time was not my fault cause I had no clue she was doing it. Like I said the first time it got dismissed cause I did not do it. I just want to know what I am looking at. I paid to look at my criminal background and it says that I had retail theft but it was dismissed.

You are going to jail.
Shoplifting items of a value of less than $950.00 is petty theft. The first three times a person is convicted of petty theft it is a misdemeanor. However, if the amount stolen is worth $50.00 or less it may be charged as an infraction. If you have three or more priors for petty theft, the next one can be a felony or a misdemeanor. Infractions are punished by a fine. Misdemeanors are punished by up to one year in the county jail and/or up to a $1,000.00 fine. Felonies are punished by sixteen months, two years, or three years in state prison. The normal punishment for first time petty theft is three years summary probation, a fine, community service, theft classes, and restitution to the victim.
Oplift is punishable by up to a year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine. What happens to you will be up to the judge.
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
You could be facing jail time, but then again, maybe not. It all depends on the DA, the judge, the strength of the evidence, and your attorney. Hire a local criminal defense lawyer ASAP.
You likely will need a lawyer and may avoid a conviction again.