What is going to happen for evading police and the bench warrant in California? 12 Answers as of October 29, 2010

I could not go to the court date. It was pending felony charges. There was a bench warrant. There was not a conviction. I was eluding the police on foot.

If this is charged as a felony, you face potential prison time. What can you do? Your options are to run and hide forever from the warrant, or to appear in court, with or without an attorney, and seek to have the warrant recalled, and then enter a not guilty plea, seek bail reduction or OR, set up and attend the court hearing[s] and trial date[s]. File motions as applicable. Raise all the available defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments for motions, plea bargaining, or at trial. Go to trial if it cannot be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. There is no magic wand to wave and make it all disappear. If you do not know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a decent plea bargain for you. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me.
There will try to charge you with additional penalties for failure to appear. The longer you go without dealing with the situation, the likelihood that the Court will penalize you on it....and if there is a bench warrant, if you get pulled over for anything else, it is likely the cops will take you into custody immediately.
If you charged with a felony (and evading the police on foot sounds like a misdemeanor) you can be extradited from whatever state you are in to California and held without bail. Unless you want to live your life looking over your shoulder, I would retain an attorney in the county where the case is pending and try to clear up the warrant.
You should hire an attorney or request the services of the public defender if you cannot afford an attorney. The FTA may add jail time but an attorney can assist you.
Wise Law Group
Wise Law Group | Michael J. Wise, Esq
I need more information to answer your question. Feel free to contact my office for a free consultation.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    You need to go to court and ask that the warrant be recalled.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    With a bench warrant, you are subject to immediate arrest. You may be remanded to remain in custody until your case is completed unless you are able to bail out. With felony evasion, you face the possibility of prison if convicted. You need to consult an attorney as soon as possible to evaluate the specific facts of your case. My office is available if you are in California.
    Steven Mandell
    Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
    A felony warrant was issued for your arrest when you failed to appear in court. It does not expire and will last until you are arrested. It will follow you everywhere you go, to every state in this country. If you are arrested on the warrant in another state, you will be held for extradition from that state back to California, and that can take up to 3 months which you might or might not get credit for here in California. It's a very serious matter, and I suggest you consult with a criminal lawyer to figure out how to make this problem go away. Most criminal lawyers give free consultations. If you would like to talk to me about it, I'd be happy to talk with you. Good luck.
    Donrad Law Offices
    Donrad Law Offices | Sean Donrad
    Well you need to vacate it.
    Law Offices of Juan Dotson
    Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
    You need to consult with a criminal defense attorney immediately. A felony bench warrant will land you in custody if you come in contact with any law enforcement (usually traffic stop, even if you are a passenger). The longer you wait to go back, the worse your excuse for missing court gets.
    You are in deep doo doo. Hire a criminal defense lawyer in your community. Hopefully he can put the case back on calendar and deal with it but the evading the police charge will be much harder to deal with. Good luck