What forms do I need if my grandma wants to give me custody of my two younger sisters? 11 Answers as of July 01, 2011

What forms do I need if my grandma wants to give me custody of my two younger sisters? I need help. What forms I need since my husband is in the military for my sisters to live on base?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
The transfer of custody of children from one person to another depends on the legal relationship of both parties. Whether your grandmother has legal custody by virtue of a court order or by a notarial act will be important. According to a new statute, she may transfer that custody by a notarial act called a "Provisional Custody by Mandate." That form may be obtained from any Louisiana Notary. In order for your sisters to live on a military base with you, they must be shown to be your husband's "dependents". The forms required are produced by the various branches of the military.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 7/1/2011
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
Third party custody.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/1/2011
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
Since you don't provide enough information to even understand why your grandma has any authority to "give you custody" it is impossible to provide a complete answer. But, if she has legal custody as a result of some court decision (such as naming her the legal guardian), then she cannot "give you custody" - only that court can do so and you need to go into that court and have custody changed. On the other hand, if there is no court order giving your grandmother any legal authority, you need more than simple "forms"; you need to file a new court case in the state where the children are living (either a guardianship or a custody proceeding) and obtain a court order granting you parental authority or legal guardianship. The military will not recognize the children as legal dependents without a court order. If your parents are still living, they will have to be involved in the legal proceedings also. You absolutely must contact an attorney to obtain some legal advice based on an understanding of all the relevant facts so that the legal options can be evaluated.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/30/2011
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
You should check with the military but to gain custody/guardianship you have to apply to Probate Court.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 6/30/2011
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
Well, initially, I have a number of questions. Questions like: What state are you in? This will affect what can and cannot be done. You ask if your grandma can give you custody of your two younger sisters. Where is the mother of your two younger sisters? Why is it the grandma who is trying to give custody to you? Unless the mother is out of the picture for some reason, the mother is likely to have a claim to custody of the girls that is superior to yours. Assuming the mother is out of the picture, and assuming that the grandma currently has custody, there are still going to be a lot of hoops to jump through for you to get custody of the girls. These hoops vary from state to state. In Washington, there are going to be background checks, an investigation, court appearances, and a number of forms to complete and get filed. As to getting the girls to live on base, you should probably speak to your JAG officer about that.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/29/2011
    Pontrello Law
    Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
    Check with the jAG on base. its usually free
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    Please consult with an attorney about your specific situation. You did not say what the involvement of the parents is in this. Under Washington law you could petition the court for 3rd party custody. If your grandmother already has 3rd party custody, it might also be possible for her to sign a permission for the children to live with you.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Ashman Law Office
    Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
    You need more than forms. You need a court order (guardianship).
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    If your grandmother has legal custody of the girls she can give you legal guardianship over them. However, the court will have to approve this in official legal papers. You should consult with a lawyer in your city to assist you in doing this.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    Transferring custody of children cannot be accomplished with forms. You will need a court order and the assistance of a domestic relations attorney. Please check with one near you for further information.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    I would check on the court's website for forms to help you get this done. You will probably have to file a guardianship action in district court.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 6/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: