What forms do I need and how much notice is required to move out of state with my child? 1 Answers as of July 08, 2011

I live in Texas with my son and his father lives 5 hours away. The custody order has given me sole-custody with rights to choose residence, education and medical. His father asked for twice a year visits, of 1/2 Christmas and 1/2 summer. I have health issues and we have no family here and want to move closer to my 30+ relatives in Spokane, WA. I know that this will be a much better situation for my son and it will not change visitation apart from HOW he gets to his father. His Dad can prove difficult and I am afraid he will try to stop us. My intended date to leave is Mid-August. I have been told that as their in no restriction on where we reside that all I need to do is serve him with a Intent to Relocate, but I can find no form for Texas (but I can for other states) and I also need to know how much notice I can give. Lastly, as there is no restriction from the court, IF he does file a motion, does that mean we will not be able to leave?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
The answer to your question is in your court custody papers. There should be a provision that you have to notify the court, the child support registry and the other party if your information changes and it will list the information that the court has - names, addresses, phone numbers for home and work, etc for both of you. It will tell you there what to do and there is no "form" a letter will suffice.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: