What is the fastest way to get my girlfriend to the US? 3 Answers as of August 25, 2010

I have a green card and recently left my girlfriend, who is a citizen of Switzerland. What is the fastest way to get her here? Do I have to wait to get my citizenship first before I can file for her to come to the US?

JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You can only file for immigrant visa petition for your wife if you are a green card holder. Therefore, you must marry her first. If you do not want to do that just yet, then you must wait until you become a US citizen, then you can apply for a fiancee visa for her (K-1 visa) and she can come into the US on that visa to get married to you.

If you do not want to wait for your naturalization, I suggest that you marry your girlfriend in Switzerland and submit the immigrant visa petition for her. As a green card spouse, the priority date should take about 10 months to become current, judging by current visa bulletin. When the priority date is reached, she will be able to get a spouse visa in Switzerland to come to the United States. The process may take up to 2 years, including processing time.
The short answer is that you have to be engaged, and you need to be a citizen. While you can file for her as a legal resident, if you marry, she would have to wait until her priority date emerges for her to apply for adjustment of status. If you want to discuss it further, you may call or e-mail me.