What is the fastest way to get citizenship for my boyfriend? 8 Answers as of January 31, 2011

What is the quickest way for my boyfriend to get citizenship in California? Is it faster for us to get married in Mexico or where we live in the US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
He would first get permanent residency rather than citizenship. Do not let him go to Mexico if he is here illegally or has overstayed a legal entry as he will then trigger a 10 YEAR PENALTY BEFORE HE CAN RETURN unless he gets a waiver. I would suggest a consultation to discuss procedures, documents, and fees. We do charge for consultations, but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for his case if we are retained thereafter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/31/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
This depends on how your boyfriend entered the US. In order to adjust in the US he must have been inspected or paroled into the US. If he was not then he may have to adjust with Consular Processing and must file a waiver for his inadmissibility.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/24/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
Get married in Mexico wait two years and apply for a visa with an I-130.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 1/24/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
It depends on how he entered the U.S. If he entered legally with a visa, you can get married in the U.S. and he can file for permanent residence here. You file an I-130 petition on his behalf and he files an I-485 application for permanent residence. If he entered illegally, you will probably need to get married here, but once you have filed the petition he will need to leave the U.S. to pick up his visa at the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/22/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Not enough information to answer, including whether you are a U.S. citizen and whether the boyfriend in here legally or illegally.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/22/2011
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
    You need to get him a green card first and then he has to wait for 3 years to get citizenship. The quickest way is to bring him as a fiance. However, the petition can not be filed unless you have been in a relationship for 2 years. If not, you can marry him and file petition for him. Caution is advised to file the petition. The denial rate is not necessarily low. Professional assistance is recommended. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/21/2011
    Javia & Moore
    Javia & Moore | Marisa-Andrea Moore
    Even if you and your boyfriend were to marry, this really depends upon a number of factors such as your immigration status and whether your boyfriend entered the United States legally or without documents. Because this is a complex situation, I highly advise you to consult with an Immigration Attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/21/2011
    Law Offices of Juan Dotson
    Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
    Congratulations! If you live in the US, then it would be faster to marry wherever you both reside. Also, you will avoid paying translation fees for the marriage certificate. Consider having the ceremony close to the people that will be writing your affidavits and/or attending the wedding ceremony. Your boyfriend should consult with an attorney to ensure he is not inadmissible.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: