What is the fastest way to bring my parents and minor brother to the US if I am a citizen? 6 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I am a US citizen and would like to bring my parents and my 17 years old brother. I just want to know what is the proper and fastest way to bring them. I know that I need to file I-130 for each of my parents and my brother. but i was told not to file a separate form for him(brother) and to just include my brother with each of my parents without filing a separate I -130 form for him since he is a minor. is this correct? Any advice? And what is the average time from start to finish. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If you are over 21 the fasted way is to file an I-130 and since your brother is a minor he can be included on their applications but some people do like to file a separate case just to be safe. Since you are a US citizen it will be a quick process so long as neither of your parents were ever in the US without authorization and do not have a criminal record. If you would like our assistance please call my office to set up a consultation. We charge $350 an hour but that would be credited to your case if you decide you want to hire us to assist your family coming over.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Hello, Your parents' cases are straightforward. You must file one I-130 for EACH of them. You should also file an I-130 for your brother, but because sibling applications take a long time, your parents will also need to submit I-130 for your brother after their green card is approved by the US Embassy. Your parents should be able to receive the green card within 8 to 10 months. However, your petition for your brother can take 8 to 10 years to become current.

After your parents enter the US, they should submit a new I-130 for your brother as new permanent residents. Their petition will be pending for about 2 to 3 years. If your brother is still under 21 when the visa number becomes current (currently projecting about 2 years for child of permanent resident [your parents]), then he will get a green card before he turns 21. If he turns 21 and the visa number is not yet current (possible, depending on how quickly your parents get their green card), then he will have a longer waiting time, roughly 5 to 6 years, before he can get the green card to come to the US.

As you can see, your brother's case is the unpredictable one. I recommend filing for your parents as soon as possible so that they can turn around and file for your brother for faster processing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Your brother WILL NOT be included in your parents petition. Derivative beneficiaries are not included in immediate relative petitions. You have to file a separate petition for him. The problem is that his petition will not be current for more than 10 years (20 years for some countries). It will be quicker for your parents to petition him once they receive their Green Cards. In many cases, your brother may be able to obtain a visitor visa or humanitarian parole in order to accompany your parents when they receive their Green Cards and he could wait in the U.S. while the petition for him by them is being processed. This is the type of matter that you should meet with an immigration regarding.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
You need to petition your parent and your brother separately, the problem is that the petition for your brother will take much longer than for your parents.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/17/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Yes, regarding your brother, I believe that is correct. Processing times can vary significantly depending upon where you file and the facts of your particular case.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/17/2011
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    You cannot bring your 17 year old brother immediately. You must file separate petitions for each person. As a U.S. citizen, you can file for each of your parents as immediate relatives and they will receive immigrant visas/greencards fairly soon (within a year). As immediate relatives, they cannot bring any derivatives which means that they cannot bring your brother. Because your brother is NOT an immediate relative, there is a wait for him. You can file the petition, but there will be no visa available to him for several years. You can watch this "line" on the visa bulletin which is posted on the Department of State website. You need to think of a different option for your brother if you want him to come too. Otherwise, he'll have to wait until your parents become citizens and then they can petition for him. Of course, by the time that happens (5 years from their own permanent residence), he will be over 21 years of age and have to wait in another line.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 1/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: