What is the expungement process and total cost? 3 Answers as of April 10, 2017

I had a DUI conviction on 3/15. I have no priors of any kind and none since. I got 3 year probation. I did all what the court asked, DUI school and 2 day labor. How can I get expunged? I want this horrific incident removed so I can move on with my life and apply for government jobs with confidence. I was ashamed and embarrassed yet no longer will let this one mistake define me. I will be done with my fines no later than March/April.

A motion for an expungement for a DUI is discretionary meaning the judge does not have to grant it even if the person has successfully completed probation. This is unlike other charges. Expungements can be done with or without an attorney. Obviously if you do the without one you won't sustain any costs but then again you won't have an attorney arguing for you if the judge or probation or DA have any concerns or oppose the motion. Most attorneys will charge between $1000 to $1500 but some court charge a bit less and some a bit more.
You need to have successfully completed the entire term of probation, have nothing criminal pending, and not be on probation for any other offense(s). Contact a lawyer to file the petition for expungement on your behalf.
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
You need to wait until probation is over or do a motion to terminate probation early. Then file form CR-180 and CR-181. There is a fee to file the expungement that can be gotten around by filing for a fee waiver. You can do it yourself, if you were represented by a public defender they will do the expungement for free. If you hire a lawyer he will charge you for both the motion to terminate probation early and the expungement. The cost will vary by attorney.