What is the expense that I should expect with a divorce? 1 Answers as of April 12, 2011

My husband does not want to divorce, but I am through with our marriage. I have 2 teens at home, and have been married 17 years. I have no idea how to go about going through this process. Where do I start and how much it is going to cost?

How much you spend depends on many things. The court charges a $280 filing fee, but that can be waived incertain circumstances. You may have to pay someone to serve your husband but if he accepts service there is no expense there. The forms are available on line for free but if you get help filing them out, it will depend on who helps you and how much help you need. Contact a localfamily law attorney. Many give a free consultation. Make sure they tell you about all your procedural options including collaborative law. If they do not knowabout collaborative law, find someone who does.