What is the easiest way to get my boyfriend a green card? 5 Answers as of January 08, 2011

I am a green card holder and I am planning on getting married soon. My fiancee lives in jamaica and I want to bring him to the US, how long would it take for him to get a green card (I am 20 and I only have my green card for a year)?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You can petition for your boyfriend, if he becomes your husband, not as a boyfriend or fiancee. But then you can petition for him with a petition for alien relative, form I-130. Once it is approved, he can apply for consular processing, but only when your filing date, assigned to him as a priority date with a category of 2A (spouses of legal residents), is called by the Department of State as current, and he's allowed to apply. There are other options, too, but you would need to contact me to discuss it further, by phone or e-mail, to set up an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/8/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
A permanent resident may petition for a spouse but not a fiance. How long it will take depends on the Visa Bulletin for that category. This comes out monthly and is posted on the State Department website at:


Your spouse would be in the FB-2a category but you will need to go there and get married before you can file or meet in a third country. We would be happy to help you with the process. Let me know and we will advise documentation, fees, timing etc.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/22/2010
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
It is currently taking about two years after you file a consular petition before he will be able to enter the US as a green card holder. Otherwise, he may qualify for a non-immigrant visa, which will allow him to be in the US for a limited period of time until he is able to process for the green card status. I am happy to discuss this issue in detail. This normally takes about one hour and my fee is $150.

If hired for the case, included in my representation is fully analysis of your case throughout the process, drafting all legal forms, providing a detailed document list for you, preparing/submitting/tracking your application once accepted by DHS/DOS, answering any questions you may have during the process, working to clear out any delays which might occur and then conducting a detailed interview preparation prior to your interview (if your case has an interview).

If you would like to set up a phone consult, please let me know.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/22/2010
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
The spouses of greencard holders have to wait in line. For the last few months, the wait has been relatively short but starting in January 2011, the wait will become several years again. Frankly, you will probably need to wait until you get citizenship which is another 4 years away.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 12/22/2010
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Green card hold can only sponsor spouses. So you only option is to marry him and bring him over as a spouse. The wait time depends. It used to be 4 years wait. Now it is significantly shorter. There is no guarantee though.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/22/2010
Click to View More Answers: