What is the easiest fastest way to have my boyfriend immigrate to the US from New Zealand? 8 Answers as of February 21, 2011

My boyfriend lives in New Zealand and wants to move to the US so we can begin our lives together. What is the fastest and easiest way to help him live here permanently?

If he desires to immigrate he will need to qualify in one of the permanent residency categories these all require either a family sponsor, employer sponsor, or the investment of money. If you are prepared to get married within 90 days of his entry to the U.S. you could petition for him to come as your fianc (assuming you are a U.S. citizen); but this will take 7-12 months. If that is not the case and he does not qualify under another green card category, then I recommend you proceed in steps and find a suitable nonimmigrant visa for him to come temporarily (F-1 to go to school, H-1B for professional work requiring a Bachelors or higher, E-2 investor, L-1 intra-company transferee, etc.) while you determine the strength of your relationship and whether you are ready to be married.

As a New Zealand citizen he may enter the U.S. on the Visa Waiver program but this is only for 90 days, will not let him change to another nonimmigrant category, and he must have the intent to return before the 90 days expire. If you do get married after he is here and are able to get a permanent residency case on file prior to the expiration of the 90 days then he would likely have his PR within 3-6 months. Remember though this cannot be his intent at the time he comes over he must honestly intend to return. He can be looking for other options, interview at schools for attendance, interview with employers if eligible for an employment category but in all cases other than marriage he will need to return before the 9 days are up before he can change to something else.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
You can petition to bring him here on a fiance visa, I-129f. This is a nonimmigrant visa. After he gets here, you will have 90 days to get married, or he has to leave the country. After you get married, you apply to adjust his status to immigrant, permanent resident, with I-485.

Caution: Nothing is fast and easy when you are dealing with the United States government.
student visa tourist visa or work visa. Get married and file I-130
A fiance visa (K1) is the fastest way if you are planning on getting married within 90 days of his arrival as a K1. Then once you are married he can apply for his Green Card.
It depends on how long you have been together, when you met ... You can marry him or get him as fiance. Yet, you should work with a lawyer to prepare your package because people in relationship like yours get denied often. You are welcome to contact us. Good luck!
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    One, He needs a family member preferably a USC spouse or child over 21 to petition for him, or two have an employer petition for him to come here to work. He could depending on his age apply fora student visa or just a regular visitor visa.
    Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
    Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
    If you are a United States Citizen you can petitio for him so he can enter the United States with a fiance visa.
    If you are married, you can then apply for a green card for him. That is a three step process and will take about 9-12 months for his entry. As he enters the US, he will be processed for a green card at the border. If you are not ready for that step, then he will need to investigate other non-immigrant visa options that are separate from you, such as employment or education.