What does my father need to do to change his will? 2 Answers as of June 24, 2015

My father wanted to change his will, after my mother passed away. We had the new will typed up, and when he went to file it at the county court house, they told him all he needed to do was sign it, and keep it in a safe place. This does not seem right to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
In Missouri, you should make sure that the will is executed properly. This means at least two witnesses see your father sign the will and they subscribe their names as witnesses to the will. Additionally, in order to make the will self-proving, which makes the will easier to get admitted to probate, the witnesses must sign an affidavit (sworn statement) before a notary public certifying that the will is genuine and that all will-making formalities were observed. So you first step is to assure that the proper execution procedures have taken place to make it a valid will. In Missouri, after execution, you can file the will in the probate court in the county where the person resides or is domiciled. This is rarely done. Most people keep their wills in a sage deposit box or somewhere safe at home. Please make sure people know where the will is kept.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 6/24/2015
Terrell Law Office L.L.C
Terrell Law Office L.L.C | Joshua T. Terrell
A new will does not have to be registered with the county (he may want to change it again right?). However, just signing it is NOT enough to make it valid! Wills are not expensive, call a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 6/24/2015
Click to View More Answers: