What does my boyfriend have to do to change his tourist visa to a green card? 2 Answers as of March 23, 2011

My boyfriend has a tourist visa, which will expire in 2014. He wants to become a permanent resident. What can he do to obtain a green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
If you are a US Citizen and you get married, then you can petition him and he can apply for his permanent residence in the U.S. (i.e,, obtain a Green Card). Other methods include employment sponsorship, but to determine if he is eligible would require more information and he must also have a employer to petition him. Also, please note, while your boyfriends visitor visa may expire in 2014, it is highly unlikely that his visitor status (as shown by his I-94) was granted for more than 6 months. Once his visitor status expires he is out of status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/23/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Just to clarify, a tourist visa does not allow a person to remain here until it's expiration. Rather the white I-94 card given to him upon entry determines the day he must depart the US. Normally six months are given. If he has overstayed by 180 days or more, he will trigger a three or ten year bar when he departs. There are many ways for a person to obtain a green card- family, employment, aslyum and the lottery are a few. You need to seek an hour long consult with a competent immigration attorney in order to analyze his case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: