What does it mean if my sentence is deferred? 2 Answers as of August 02, 2011

I got a copy of my record and was arrrested in 1964 in the info there is a spot that says sentenced to : Term: 60 Days and not sentence date but on the bottom it says Sentence Deferred can you explain to me what this means?

Gutin and Wolverton
Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
Deferred probably means you were not formally adjudicated if you never returned to be "sentenced". Usually if a Judge defers the actual sentence he is giving you the opportunity to do something: i.e, pay a fine or take a class. Or the Judge could be deferring a sentencing to allow the defendant to cooperate with the authorities (work as an informant or testify in a pending trial against others). There are many reasons why a Judge could "defer" sentencing. Regarding your specific issue: you should go to the Clerk of Court and pull the file and see what the actual sentencing paperwork says.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
Typically when you see this it means that there was a jail or prison sentence, but that jail or prison sentenced will only be imposed at a later date if certain conditions, such as probation are not met.