What does the first offenders act do for drug charges? 3 Answers as of June 03, 2011

Im currently on first offenders probation for a drug charge. What does it do for me when my probation is up?

Law Office of Michael Moody
Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
If you successfully complete the First Offender sentence under O.C.G.A. Section 16-13-2, you will be adjudicated NOT GUILTY and have no record of conviction. Also, your license will not be suspended. If you mess up while under the First Offender sentence, the court can bring you back and re-sentence you to the maximum penalty allowed under the law.
While you should always go over the specific facts and law with your own criminal attorney, as an Augusta, Georgia criminal lawyer, I can say that, generally, in Georgia, if one completes first offender probation without any violations of the terms and conditions of probation, then the judge would enter an order wiping away the conviction. Good luck!
Giannini Law Office, PC
Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
When your probation is completed successfully your charge will be dismissed. This means that you will stand convicted of that charge for the rest of your life. I suggest that a few months after you complete probation you go to the police station and get a copy of your criminal history to make sure that the charge has been dismissed. If it has not then go the clerk of court and ask for their assistance.