What does case set on status call mean? 4 Answers as of March 30, 2011

I settled a case with a creditor in 2007, so no judgment was issued. Now 4 years later I'm getting calls from the same company. I looked online and it shows that case had recent activity that is case set on status call. Can they re-open the case if it was already settled?

Law Office of Harry L Styron
Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
What doesn't appear from your question is whether there was a formal (written) settlement agreement and whether that agreement provided for the dismissal of what appears from your question to have been a pending lawsuit, and whether the court was ever given notice that the matter was settled. Lacking these things the case is still pending. If you have proof (agreements, letters reciting the agreement, canceled checks showing payment of the agreed amount) then you can probably get the court to dismiss the lawsuit. In any case you probably need to find an attorney to advise and represent you. A status conference is just what it sounds like. The judge will ask the parties who attend what the status of the case is and what their plans are to prosecute and defend it. Once the judge gets an answer to these questions he or she will either set another status conference 90 days or so down the road, or else set another type of conference, for example a settlement conference or a trial setting conference.
The Law Office of John T. MacDonald Jr., PLLC
The Law Office of John T. MacDonald Jr., PLLC | John MacDonald Jr.
What proof do you have that you settled the case? If none, it is likely they can come back again and try to settle the amount you owe. If you come to a an agreement with a debtor get it in writing. It is best to consult with an attorney to get the best results when dealing with a creditor. If you need help please feel free to call me.
Not if it settled. Do you have paperwork?
The court is just trying to find out if you paid the settlement amount in full so that the case can be dismissed as per the settlement agreement. It is just a way for the court to keep an eye on the case and dismiss it if it no longer needs to remain open for you to complete your payments under the settlement.