What does case set on status call mean? 3 Answers as of March 24, 2011

I settled a case with a creditor in 2007, so no judgment was issued. Now 4 years later I'm getting calls from the same company. I looked online and it shows that case had recent activity that is case set on status call. Can they re-open the case if it was already settled?

Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
You should speak with the creditor to confirm the settlement. Normally, they cannot "re-open" the case since the settlement should have stated the matter was settled in full and you should have received a settlement letter reflecting that. There may just be an error in their records and they should let the court know that the matter has been resolved and satisfied.
Someone needs to review the paper work. I'm not sure what that is. In California cases must be completed in a timely manner and nothing would hang around this long.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
What might had happened was the creditor filed the case but you settled soon thereafter so they did not proceed. Instead of spending the money on dismissing the case, they just let it continue and hoped it will eventually get dismissed by the court for want of prosecution (not proceeding anything for a specific time period). Contact the creditor and explain to them the matter has been settled, and send them a copy of the settled in full letter you should have received Ask them to dismiss the case.