what does an ICE hold mean? 3 Answers as of May 20, 2011

A friend of mine is in jail. He was arrested for driving under the influence and had no ID on him. When I tried to bail him out, they told me that he's on ICE hold. And he's illegally in the US. What are the chances of him not being deported?

Law Office of James A Schoenberger
Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
An ICE hold is an immigration hold due to his status in the US. I cannot predict any immigration outcome without a whole lot more information.
It means that the person being held will stay in custody until immigration can determine the person's immigration status. If the person is in this country illegally, the person will stay in custody pending removal proceedings and then deported or not deported depending on the person's status.
Law Office of Michael Brodsky
Law Office of Michael Brodsky | Michael Brodsky
ICE is the Immigration & Customs Enforcement Agency. If your friend is undocumented, he will quite likely be deported. His only chance is a very good immigration attorney. *Please note that this is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post represents only the posters opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in the State of Washington. For more information about our law firm and services, please visit our website.