What documentation do I need as proof of physical residence? 3 Answers as of January 10, 2011

I am applying for a US passport, I have a US father and I was born in the UK. The only time my father left the US was 2 years after my birth to visit the UK for only approx. 10 months and the dept of state are unable to locate any passport records for him although he definitely had a passport.

I believe I have provided enough evidence to meet the 10 year transmission requirements, i.e. school records and a detailed SSN Earnings record. I have also provided a copy of his birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate (all issued in the US). My 2 older brothers were also born in the US for which my father would have had to register also and it doesn't seem that these facts are being taken into consideration as he would have had to have been physically present also for all of the above. They do not appear to be willing to accept the detailed SSN earnings record as proof of his physical presence in the US as they say he could have earned this money outwith the US. The jobs he performed were the likes of taxi driver, deli worker, hospital worker, tools worker etc. which obviously are not jobs he would have carried out outwith the US. With this in mind and the fact that they cannot trace my father's passport record, even though his travel was after my birth which in effect is a period outwith the transmission requirements which are relevant prior to my birth, is this a valid enough reason to decline my passport? My father's siblings are also willing to submit an affidavit confirming my father's residence in the US for his whole life with the exception of the 10 month period he was outwith the US. I would really appreciate any guidance as to how I can proceed from here. Can you also advise what other documentation would act as proof of physical residence?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
School records, W-2's, employer letters, tax returns, driver's license, mortgage or lease, credit card and bank statements, utility bills, etc.

We would be happy to assist in your case. In most cases we can quote you a flat fee or you can start with a consultation which would then be a credit toward the flat fee if we are retained after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
If you are applying for N-600 Certificate you will need to show that your father was in the U.S. long enough to "transmit" his citizenship to you. The date of your birth determines whether your father needed to be in the U.S. 5 or ten years.

If USCIS denied your N-600 I would recommend appealing it. The evidence you state should be sufficient.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/7/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Does your dad have his old W-2? Paystubs? School records? Medical records? dental records? rental agreements? bank statements? voting records? You are on the right track.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: