What do you suggest in order to remain civil with my neighbors who I like a lot if leaves are falling in my backyard? 6 Answers as of November 07, 2013

My neighbor planted a tree that sheds leaves in the fall. I noticed today that their leaves are falling and blowing into my backyard. We haven't planted any trees to date however we would never plant trees that would cause my neighbor’s extra work. I dislike the leaves in my backyard especially when I currently have compose on my lawn. I have no intentions of raking leaves nor do I have the time.

Take the path of least resistance, rake the leaves and don't say anything. Plenty of neighborhood wars begin when minor disputes elevate. The wind blows leaves, paper and other debris onto everyone's lawns, the only way to minimize it (you'll never completely eliminate it) is to build a huge wall around your property. Then you are excluded from the neighborhood. It ain't worth it.
Suggest you move or get a new neighbor or make this neighbor your enemy by being truthful about what you see as a problem. If he is a nice person he will give it some thought.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
Seriously? Rake the leaves that fall in your yard.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Belushin Law Firm, P.C.
Belushin Law Firm, P.C. | Vel Belushin
Leaves cannot be controlled and if no one planted trees due to the fact of leaves the neighborhood would be rather barren. This does not rise to a legal matter.
Leaves which fall and blow onto your property are your issue. There is little if anything that you can do except rake them.
    You dislike having leaves in your backyard but you have no intentions of raking them up. Back in the ancient days of yore, I used to earn money from my neighbors from raking leaves. I'd advise you to hire some neighborhood youngster to rake the leaves, but you'd probably complain about that, and most kids nowadays are so busy playing video games that they wouldn't know how to use a rake if they knew what one was. So, as I see it, you can: 1) Rake the leaves yourself, or 2) Let them rot where they land, or 3) Hire someone, either a neighborhood kid or a landscaping company. A variation of the first option would be to buy some sort of multi-function mulcher/vacuumer machine to suck up the leaves or grind them into fertilizer as you mow your lawn. It must be nice to have such a comfortable life that this is all you have to worry about.