What do you do about custody if you are pregnant? 5 Answers as of March 30, 2011

I am pregnant with my first child, and I am thinking about divorcing my husband. If we get divorced before our baby is born (I am 4 months pregnant) do we have to determine custody before they are born? Or will we be required to determine child custody after the baby is born?

Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
It takes at least 6 months to be divorce and you are only 4 months pregnant. A visitation schedule can be set up with the newborn. If the baby is breast fed then visitation will be limited.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You will most likely determine custody after the child is born. However, I would still recommend you file your divorce now, if that is what you want to do.
You can file for a divorce, but the case won't be completed until after the baby is born. In your matter, it is too early to decide custody issues.
A custody determination is made after the child is born. The court cannot make orders based on potential future events. I.e., there is no such things a preemptive custody determinations.
You can file a divorce petition now and gain the ability to establish a custody order, but generally the courts won't establish an order until the child is born. If you are looking for assistance, please contact me for a free consultation.