What do I need to submit as proof of relationship? 3 Answers as of May 10, 2011

I am a permanent resident who would like to petition for a green card for my unmarried daughter who is over 21. I have the following question -What proof do I need to submit to show that she is related to me? We do not share one last name as I am not married to her mother. The birth certificates do not indicate any relation either. Is a blood test enough to prove that we are related?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
If you are not listed on her birth certificate, and you were not married to her mother, than you will have to have a blood test done. Also, you will have to show that you and she had a father-daughter relationship before she turned 18 years. Given the facts you describe you should seek the assistant of an immigration attorney regarding your matter because it will not be easy to approve the case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/10/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
The USCIS is a lot more strict for father than for mother when is comes to demonstrate the parent / child relationship. It doesn't want to accept the father / child relationship if the sole reason for her being your daughter was one single night of fun. So you need to show your relationship in other ways. Blood test might work. But other relevant issues include: Did you acknowledge her before she turned 18? Did you pay child support? Did you list her on your tax as a dependent? What does her medical or school record indicate as guardian, parent, emergency contact? Is your name on any of those documents? Did you live with her mother? And where was she born (country)? The answer to these questions also may establish whether the parent - child relationship exist.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/10/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
If your child is outside the US then more likely than not the US consulate is going to request a DNA test. Also photographs of you and this child together will be helpful in establishing a relationship.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: