What do I need to do when unable to pay restitution and fees while on probation? 5 Answers as of August 30, 2013

I plead guilty to felony forgery less than $10K in October 2011. I was sentenced to 5 years probation PTUP. I have not been able to find employment in the small town that I live and I have just received a school refund. I got a letter from the DPPPS stating I need to appear for court and pay $1,770 that I am behind. The money from my refund needs to be used to get a vehicle to get to the nearest town where I am able to get employment. I have a remaining balance of $4,776 and I want to know what will happen if I cannot pay the $1,770. In March 2014, I will be able to make a payment of roughly $2500.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Get ready to go back to jail.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/30/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Talk to them and see what can be worked out.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/30/2013
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Ask the lawyer that handled your case to negotiate the fine.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/30/2013
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
The most important thing is to address this with the court. Do not ignore it. It will not go away and it will be far worse if you fail to address it with the court. The economy is horrible and jobs are tough to come by. Go into court and explain your situation.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/30/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You can explain to the judge your situation, but you now do have the resources to make some kind of payment. You can request that you do community service, instead of the payments. Your other option is time in jail.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/30/2013
Click to View More Answers: