What do I need to do to get a divorce? 12 Answers as of May 02, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Contact a Lawyer
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/2/2014
Family Law & Mediation Services, LLC | Carol Jean Romine
You can obtain all the documents you need by going to the government website. Just Google the term "divorce forms in Indiana" and then go to the government website (not the ones where they are selling you documents) and follow the instructions.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 5/2/2014
Buchanan Law & Mediation Center | Terry Anne Buchanan
In the state of California, you must begin a dissolution of marriage action by filing and serving the initial pleadings (paperwork): Summons and Petition. Each county within the state has its own special forms that may also need to be filed to open a divorce case. You can refer to the county's website or speak with someone at the local self-help center or clerk's office for the specific paperwork to be completed. After the initial pleadings are filed and served on the other party in the case (the Respondent), you must decide whether you are proceeding through the courts or whether you are able to work together in mediation. In mediation, the two of you would work with a mediator to identify, evaluate and resolve all issues pertaining to your specific case. The general areas of a divorce case are (1) child custody/visitation; (2) child support; (3) spousal support; (4) property division. The mediator and/or attorney will assist you in determining the steps you will need to take to conclude your case. If you two are generally amicable, you can probably work together to resolve all your issues and have a final agreement prepared for filing with the Court by the earliest date that your marital status can change from "married" to "single" individuals. That earliest date is 6 months and 1 day from the date that the Respondent is served. As an attorney and mediator, I am available to assist if you are located in or near Ventura County. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/2/2014
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
Well, that really depends on you and the facts. Some people will try to do their own divorces, especially if they are "uncontested." I don't recommend anyone going to court Pro Se. If there are child custody, support, alimony, pension, and property issues involved, I would certainly advise you to get an experienced divorce lawyer.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 5/2/2014
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
File the appropriate papers.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/2/2014
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    File and serve the divorce petition with the other documents to start the divorce process.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    John Ceci PLLC
    John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
    I cannot possibly explain the entire divorce process in one email. If you cannot figure out how to handle your divorce yourself then you should seriously consider hiring an attorney. If you are going to try and do this yourself, you can run phrases like "filing for divorce" and the name of your State in a Google search and you may find some information to help you get started.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    The requirements vary by state.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    File a complaint for divorce, get a summons issued, have your spouse served and hope for the best. Or hire an attorney who knows what he or she is doing and make sure that in getting divorced you are not coming out on the short end.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    You need to file a petition for divorce in preferably the county where both parties reside.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    John Russo | John Russo
    File, to start with, but based on this question you really should retain counsel.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Home Town Law, P.A.
    Home Town Law, P.A. | Sabina Tomshinsky
    You must file a petition for dissolution of marriage with other requisite pleadings in the county where you last resided as husband and wife and serve your spouse with the same. However, it would be prudent to consult with a divorce attorney in your area on moving forward with a divorce action to ensure that your interests are protected. Language in the pleadings will vary based on whether you have property and/or minor or dependent children. There is a filing cost and a service cost. Your question is simply too broad and would be best answered by a divorce attorney of your choice during a formal consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/2/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney