What do I need to do to convert my wife's B2 visa to a green card? 6 Answers as of June 15, 2011

My (now) wife entered the country in 2009 on a B2 Visa. We married and then left the country 5 days after we married on her scheduled departure date. We planned to stay out of the country for at least 3 years. In Dec 2010, I returned to the US because my father had a stroke and needed someone to take care of him. My wife followed in January on the same 10 year B2 visa. My father will need extended care that I have volunteered to do. I want to change my wife's status and obtain a "green card" for her so she can stay with me. I am completing the I-485 and I am not sure what box to check in Part 2 other than "Other." Is that correct? And, if so, what is the basis of eligibility?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
The Adjustment of Status petition includes more than just the I-485. There's a lot the forms won't tell you. You can get a green card for your wife, and you should at least consult with a lawyer to learn more.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/15/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
If you are a U.S. citizen then you need to file an I-130 petition on behalf of your wife at the same time as she files the form I-485 and check the first box that says on the basis of a visa that is immediately available to me. If you are not going to get assistance either through some sort of non-profit or a lawyer, I caution you to read the instructions for both forms very carefully.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/15/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
I am not allowed to answer specific questions on how to answer forms as this is against my malpractice insurance. I suggest that you do not attempt to fill in or file your case without consulting with a competent immigration attorney in your area. You need to assess risks and eligibility. Filling in forms is about 5% of the process so please do not attempt to file without guidance!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/14/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
An attorney cannot advise you how to fill out the forms without being retained and knowing more information. While it may not seem that complicated to complete the I485 and related necessary forms, there are several tricky aspects. One mistake can lead to long delays in processing and even denial. I encourage you to retain an attorney to help you with the process to ensure smooth processing. I offer free phone consultations.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/14/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
Is your wife in the country now? If not, you have the option of filing a spousal petition to possibly get her into the country faster and then you can adjust status while she is in the country. If you are unsure about how to go about completing the forms, you should speak with an immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/14/2011
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
    This is not something you want to do by yourself. but if you are a U.S. citizen and you are petitioning for your spouse then you file the I-130 and I-485 concurrently.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: