What do I need to do if I have been contacted by a legal representative from another country regarding an inheritance? 18 Answers as of March 03, 2014

I have been contacted by a legal representative from Eminet Global securities from Surrey United Kingdom, stating I have a x amount inherited from my uncle. I have been receiving documents for me to sign for him to be my power of attorney and for me to receive the funds. I have not yet to do so. I would like to know do I need my own lawyer for me to understand how this can be handled.

Attorney At Law | James G. Maguire
This could be a scam, so be careful. You should not have to send them any money to receive the bequest.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
This scenario is commonly used for scams. Verify your uncle. Verify the law firm handling your uncle's estate. Find a lawyer in the united kingdom to represent your interests. Get all pertinent information about the inheritance and the estate from the contact and provide that info to your lawyer. Do not provide any vital or confidential information to the contact.
Robert E. Giffin | Robert E. Giffin CPA
Stay away if is a shame. I
Law Office of Nathan Wagner
Law Office of Nathan Wagner | Nathan J. Wagner
There is a 99.9999 % chance that this is a scam. There is no inheritance for you in the UK. They are just trying to fool you into signing the power of attorney, which could allow them to raid your bank accounts and steal your identity. Do not sign anything. Just walk away.
Be careful; this could be a scam. You might want to retain a local solicitor (lawyer) to act on your behalf.
    Neal M. Rimer, Esquire
    Neal M. Rimer, Esquire | Neal M. Rimer
    I would suggest that to avoid problems and make sure everything is being done legally, that retaining an attorney would be in your best interest. I would hope this is not one of those phony deals that will cost you money to "get your money" as seems to be the case most of the time... and you never do get any money.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    Yes, consult an attorney. For starters, this could be some fresh version of the old Nigerian oil money scam. If you actually have an uncle in Surrey, you may have interesting tax implications in this matter.
    Contact an attorney with experience in international law. I don't know why one would need to sign over power of attorney to receive an inheritance.
    Run a away as fast as you can. I mean I suppose it could be legitimate if you had an uncle in the United Kingdom, but if it is an unknown uncle, etc., it could very likely be another scam. What you don't do is give them any information about bank accounts, etc. As a matter of fact, tell them to send you the check. Then take the check to the bank to make sure it is legitimate. It may not be.
    If you had an uncle living in Surrey, then it may be on the level, but beware of scams. There is no reason for him to need your POW.
    This probably a SCAM. Suggest you obtain the services of a probate lawyer to investigate the matter for you.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    This could be a scam. Seek legal counsel if you think you have a relative in that country. Do not give out personal identification information without making sure it is legitimate first! This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    It would probably be best if you do have an attorney over in the United Kingdom to look out for your interest. I'm really not understanding your question though. If you inherited money from you uncle, that normally indicates that someone has died (namely your uncle). How can he act as power of attorney to receive the fund she's dead.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    What you need to do is have a lawyer review the paperwork. These situations are often scams.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    I would have a lawyer review this. Unless you are familiar with all of the facts of the situation and know it to be legitimate, I would assume that this is a hoax, until you can document and verify everything. This is one of the more popular scams, at the moment. There are procedures that are followed in legitimate cases, and your attorney will be able to help you identify those.
    Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
    So many of these things are a scam! Unless you know who you are dealing with I would recommend you take everything to an attorney to look at before you sign anything! In any event do not sign a power of attorney the allows the other party to do anything more than is needed to deal with the current circumstance. A general power of attorney will allow them access to all your stuff!
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    Yes, you need your own U.S. lawyer who specializes in estates involving people from other countries. Second, this sounds like a scam that has been sweeping the country. Do not sign anything without the advice of your own lawyer and do NOT rely on any advice from the internet.