What do I need to do for my son's father to sign over his rights so that my fiancé can adopt my son? 1 Answers as of May 05, 2017

I have had full custody of my son since birth and he is now 9 years old. My son's father and I split up before my son was born and has no contact with my son at all. I have been with my fiancé since my son was about 9 months old. My fiancé would like to adopt my son and my son's father has no problem with that. He has agreed to sign over his rights as father. I just need to get everything needed for him to do so is his only request.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
If the child's father is willing to relinquish his rights as you say, he can do a voluntary termination of rights in the context of an adoption, once the adoption is filed. In every adoption, a home study has to be done prior to the adoption being finalized. You should see an attorney to do the adoption. The home study may be a bit problematic since you are not married to the potential adoptive father, making the relationship somewhat less stable. It will lead to a fair number of questions by the social worker as to why you're not married if you've lived together all these years. So be prepared.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/5/2017
Click to View More Answers: