What do I have to do to be a citizen? 7 Answers as of July 19, 2011

I have been in the us since 2004, came here with a visa. My dad applied for us me my bro and sis. When we had our immigration appointment he didn't want to proceed because my mother n him were about to get separated, because his alcoholic problem. so we move out to a familys house. N started our life there. Now I just got married to an American woman, we have been living together for almost two years. But I don't know if I have to go to jail or back to Mexico. And am afraid to lose my place and car since am still paying them.

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
If you are married to a U.S. citizen and entered the country legally, you are eligible to apply for adjustment of status. Since you have a prior case, I would suggest hiring an attorney to look into it before you proceed.
Idiart Law Group
Idiart Law Group | Justin Idiart
If you still have proof of your legal entry into the United States, and have not been placed in proceedings, you might be eligible for a one-step adjustment of status to become a legal permanent resident. After three years of residency and marriage, you can then apply for citizenship.
You may apply for adjustment of status, provided there are no issues with the first application.
Good news. As you entered lawfully with a visa, even with your overstay and (presumably) unauthorized employment, you US citizen wife can file for you and you can apply for permanent residence here in the US, and you will not have to return to your home country for the immigrant visa. You would be forgiven for the immigration violations under section 245(a). Consult with an immigration attorney immediately.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
If you came on visa and have not left the US, you should be able to apply for a green card based on your marriage. I recommend consulting with an immigration attorney before filing an application to fully explore your immigration history.
    You need to make an appointment with a competent immigration attorney in your region to analyze your case. Bring your receipt notices from your father's filing and your passport. All of this is going to depend upon how you entered the US and when; when your father filed for you and other options. You may be able to file but the attorney would need a lot more detail from you.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    If you came here with a visa, and are now married to a US citizen, you should be able to adjust (get your paper without leaving the US). I do not know whether you are "admissible" because I do not have much information (Example: Any immigration history, previous deportation, previous fraud?). Please speak to an attorney who can make sure you are admissible. Most likely, you do not have to return to Mexico.