What do I do with the property tax statement I just received and who pays it? 5 Answers as of October 09, 2013

My deceased parents had a reverse mortgage on their house and my name is not on the loan or as part of the court recording of deed. The house is going through foreclosure. However, their 2014 property taxes will be due before the foreclosure is finalized. What do I do with the property tax statement I just received and who pays it? Thank you.

If there is no equity in house, do not pay them. If you will be getting something out of the house, it will come out of your share.
Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
Did your parents' have a will or trust? If so, who did they leave the property to? If your parents left the property to you but you don't want it (either because the loan is underwater or you can't afford to bring the loan current), then you can refuse the gift by not starting a court proceeding to probate the will or not accepting a deed from the trustee. If there was no will or trust, then by law you and your siblings, if any, would inherit the house in equal shares. But again, you would have to file a probate petition to have your ownership confirmed. If you have no ownership interest, you have no personal liability for the taxes. If you allow the loan to be foreclosed, the taxes will be paid from the proceeds of the trustee's sale, if any. If there are no bidder's at the sale, the lender takes title to the property and is then responsible for the taxes.
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
The mortgagee bank that is foreclosing on the property usually pays the real estate taxes. You can send them the statement.
Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon
Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon | Jeffrey Solomon
Real Property taxes in Florida are only against the property. They must eventually be paid if you are keeping the property. However, if the property is foreclosed, only the lender will have to pay the taxes as the new owner. You would have no liability on the taxes.
If it is in foreclosure, generally the bank will pay it.