What do I do with my father's estate if I'm not executor and I'm an only child? 1 Answers as of October 20, 2014

My father recently passed away, I am his only child and he did not leave a will, I have legal POA over him and all his finances. I tried to go to the bank and have them change things around with my name and they mentioned that I wasn't appointed his executor of estate and that the POA was not valid anymore because he already passed. I am also having trouble with one of his Life Insurance policies. I do not know what to do at this point.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Scott Goldstein | Scott Goldstein
You will have to get a lawyer and open his estate in probate. The POA expires on the death of the issuer.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 10/20/2014
Click to View More Answers: