What do I do with an ex-roommates property if he is not paying rent? Posted on April 27, 2011

My roommate moved out without notice, left all of his belongings and didn't pay rent. This was about two months ago. I couldn't get a hold of him for about a month, finally got a hold of him via text and he said he would try to get his things some time. That was a month ago and I haven't heard from him since, despite numerous attempts to reach him. Now our landlords are selling the house and we are moving this weekend. There isn't room in the new house for his things and of course I don't want to move them. He was never on the lease in The current house, and I live in California. Am I obligated to move his property with me? I would like to dispose of it, I don't know if I will ever hear from him again.