What do I do to keep my pregnant fiancé to stay in the US permanently? 2 Answers as of December 03, 2015

My 7 month old pregnant girlfriend came from Colombia to see me. I had been to Colombia 7 previous times and this was her second time to come see me in the US. I am a Mexican/Chicano born in the US. She had bought a round trip ticket before she left from Colombia to stay for 3 weeks to visit. I know me being born in the US and if the child was to be born in Colombia, the child would be an American citizen because of my status, but while my girlfriend was here I had a change of heart and wanted the baby to be born here and for both of them to stay. We are planning to get married very soon. She wants to go home before her visa expires. It's 6 months before she violates the visa. Her visa is valid for 10 years. I am scared they could be rejected when coming back in because she received a state insurance for her and the baby while she was pregnant. I was unable to work at the time because I was recovering from surgery. She did not receive cash assistance or food stamps. Only the insurance for the baby and her while she was pregnant and 2 months post pregnancy. I have heard stories of denying entry based on that. Totally scared at the moment.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I you were to marry her as you planned to (now as opposed to later), then all your worries would go away. My sincere opinion is that your change of heart is the correct change. This is because of the ever-changing immigration laws and at this time when we are threatened in terms of our security at home, it is better for her to stay and have the baby here. That way, she will avoid all the possible re-entry problems keeping in mind that entry to the US is being restricted to foreigners on a daily basis.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/3/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Best wishes with soon having a baby and being a parent! Generally, if a foreign national enters the U.S. lawfully and with inspection, and then becomes married to a U.S. citizen, the couple may succeed in a marriage-based adjustment of status application so that the foreign national will become a Lawful Permanent Resident (will get a "Green Card"). This is true regardless of whether the foreign national may have overstayed her initial visa. (By the way, the time permitted for her to remain in the U.S. is not governed by the 10-year period of validity for her multiple-entry visitor's visa, but instead is governed by the I-94 granted at time of admission.) More information would be needed in order to analyze whether the receipt of public assistance for the baby might interfere with eligibility for the mother to adjust status.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 12/3/2015
Click to View More Answers: