What do I do next if my divorce status is pending? 8 Answers as of May 22, 2014

My father was served instead of me and when I received the divorce papers I was not sure what to do so I signed them and gave them back to my wife. The divorce was filed in October of 2010 and it stills says pending. I tried to respond by going to my local self-help center and they told me there is nothing I can do without the papers I was served with. I contacted my ex-wife and she stated she cannot find the paperwork.

Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
Get the papers from the court clerk's office then go to the self help clinic.
Ellis & Abouelsood | John Danelon
You need to go to the clerk's office of where the paperwork was filed by your wife to request a copy then.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
I suggest you retain an attorney or paralegal to help you retrieve the court's file to determine the status of your case.
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
Go to the courthouse and copy the documents in the file. Then you may be able to determine what needs to be done - if you are unable to do so then consult an attorney.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You should go to the clerk's office in the courthouse and request a copy of the documents that were filed. With proper ID, parties can get the papers from the court. Then go back to the self help center for assistance.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    You can go to the court and get copies of the filed paperwork. Once you have them you can decide what you want to do.
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    Get a copy of all papers filed in your case by going to the county courthouse where the case was filed (probably the county she was living in at that time). Take those papers to the self-help and find out how what you need to do next. If you can't find proof that papers were actually filed and no case was ever started, you need to start you own and get her served.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    You can go to the courthouse and pay to get a copy of your case file so you can respond. If you wait too long the case will get dismissed and you will have to start all over again.