What do I do if they are repossessing the car but couldn’t inform me since I changed address and phone number? 1 Answers as of August 19, 2016

I bought a car at a buy here pay here place. I bought it on 02/2014 and fell behind on payments several times, I have had to refinance it with them. I have paid over $8,000 on this vehicle and it was repossessed last night. Mind you, because I changed my address and phone number, they were not able to get ahold of me for five months. I know I was wrong. I was overwhelmed in debt. I still owe around $1,300 on it. I'm wondering if there's anything legally I can do. When they repossessed the car, again because I moved and changed my number, they couldn't inform me of the repossession before doing it. I found out as they were doing it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
If you have paid over 30% of the total of payments, you are entitled to reinstate the contract once by tendering the missed payments and repossession expenses. The creditor has 5 days to notify you in writing of (1) proposed transfer of title, (2) right to reinstate, (3) plan for proposed sale of vehicle. Notice is sent to your last known address, so I suggest that you notify them immediately of same, and follow up in writing.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 8/19/2016
Click to View More Answers: