What do I do if there is a warrant out for my arrest? 10 Answers as of July 13, 2011

There is a felony warrant out for my arrest for something that I wasn't involved in. my husband says he will accept responsibility for the crime-he is in jail already. What do I do?

Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux | Scott Tibbedeaux
You should contact an attorney first because the warrant has been issued and you will be taken into custody by police.
Contact an attorney. Make arrangements to appear and surrender on the warrant. It is much more likely to stay out of jail if you appear before being arrested on the warrant. You could also go to the jail with a bondsman, surrender there and post bail.
Grant & Grant
Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
A Felony Warrant is very serious. If arrested, you will be faced with a significant bail bond. Need to immediately consult with an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney without delay.
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
Get a lawyer who has the clout to walk you into court for arraignment without going into custody. Otherwise, you will eventually be arrested and have to post bail.
To handle a warrant, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a recall of the warrant, negotiate bail or OR, and negotiate any outstanding charges that caused the warrant. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That can happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US. As this is a felony, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Free advice: exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. You would risk yourself and your husband being convicted.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc. | Mary Ann Bird
    You need to surrender on the warrant as the first step to clearing your name. I suggest that you contact an attorney to assist in the surrender process.
    Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf
    Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf | Sheryl S. Graf
    To clear the warrant in a felony case, you would need to appear in court with your attorney to answer the charges. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney, then one would be appointed to represent you. You should, of course, seek prompt legal advice from an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    You need to immediately retain a criminal defense attorney to help you. If there is a felony warrant out for your arrest it means that there is a bail amount. If you are arrested you will sit in custody until you post the bail amount. An experienced criminal defense lawyer can find out what the bail is and then approach the prosecutor and see if they can make an arrangement to have you released upon your own recognizance. If not a private lawyer can refer you to a competent bail bondsman who will charge you reduced fees of only 8% because that is called attorney referred bond. The only time in a case you are presumed guilty is when bail is set. Don't delay, because if you are arrested and do not have a lawyer you will likely regret what happens next.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    You should contact an attorney to recall the warrant for you. It is best to have an attorney do this for you because, if you show up to the court, you may be arrested depending on what the warrant is for.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    You need an attorney to deal with this. It is not as easy as you think. You have no idea what the police/DA are charging you with.