What do I do if someone wants to buy a property that was given to me from a will? 5 Answers as of July 24, 2011

My dad had a contract with someone buying his boat. They were making monthly payments. My dad has since passed away but I have the contract and I am in charge of the estate as Per the legal will. Do they legally have to pay me or can they get out of it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Owings Law Firm
Owings Law Firm | Tammy B. Gattis
Probably have to continue to pay.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 7/24/2011
The Schreiber Law Firm
The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
Yes, as the successor to the contract (the right to be paid the balance due), they are obligated to pay you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/24/2011
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
You would have to look at terms of the contract, but generally the contracts are enforceable by his estate or the beneficiary of the note
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/24/2011
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
It depends on the wording of the contract. Since as executor your first duty was to hire a lawyer (if you did not, do that), the estate attorney will help you make that determination.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: