What do I do if someone calls and says I have an inheritance? 6 Answers as of June 28, 2011

I have someone who contacted me and they are saying that they have an inheritance for me they have send some type of proof as to who they are saying they are. He wants me to send my ID for the bank papers can anyone give me any kind of light on this please.

Congratulations on being smart to check before just sending information. You should check with the Court or State which is holding the property. If you are entitled to an inheritance this inheritance may be through a Probate case or abandoned property through a state law. You also should check with your State Attorney General fraud department to see if anyone has been defrauded in similar situations. Also, consider running an internet search on the name and contact information of the person who contacted you, see if the information matches and independently contact the person to see if they were the person who called you and not an importer.
The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
I would ask for some verification of who the person is that is calling you. They should be able to send you a letter or something stating who they are, who they work for, who the deceased person is and how much was left to you.
Yes, if you don't know the person, it is very likely that it is a scam and all they wantinitially is your ID. Then, once they get that, they'll ask for just a few bucks and then the amount will increase until they suddenly disappear.If you don't know who the person was who died and don't know why they contacted you, stay away from it.Remember if it looks, sounds and smells too good to be true - you're right! Good luck.
Law Office of Richard B. Kell
Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
If it's not one of your known relatives, then it's a scam. Do not send them anything! L
That is a scam. Hang up the phone and call the police. Do not talk to the criminal. Once you give them information they will either steal your identity or empty your bank account.