What do I do if my husbands credit is still affecting mine after bankruptcy? 9 Answers as of May 17, 2011

My ex husband obtained house in divorce. I filed bankruptcy on house, but my name is still on it and his payment history is affecting my credit. What do I do?

Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
You are left with little or no choice at this time. you are a co-debtor and his credit will continue to affect yours unless you work out an arrangement with him to keep the loan current.
Your ex-husband's payment history should not affect your credit after bankruptcy. You are entitled to have negative entries of your ex cleared from your credit report. Contact all three credit reporting companies. If they don't change your credit report within 30 days you are legally allowed to write 100 words as a statement that becomes part of your credit report.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
You should contact the credit reporting bureaus to get that error taken off.
You need to file a dispute with credit reporting agencies and follow up on that process. You may need a lawyer to help you with that.
Law Office of Larry Webb
Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
If your husband has the house by way of a marital settlement agreement, you need to enforce the agreement in state court. Unfortunately your divorce means nothing to the lender who has you responsible for the mortgage.
    You cannot remove your name from the loan on the house. If your ex cannot refinance then you are stuck until the house loan is paid off.
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    The payment history should not be affecting your credit after the bankruptcy. This looks like what is called a Code Q. Ask your bankruptcy lawyer, or talk to a lawyer who does Fair Credit Reporting Law in your area. NACA the National Association of Consumer Advocates, is a place to look.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C. | Alexzander Adams
    This may be a stay violation. You should consult a bankruptcy attorney to determine if you have rights against the mortgage company.
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
    If you listed the mortgage debt in your bankruptcy papers and that debt was discharged in your case, then the mortgage lender is violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act and your bankruptcy discharge injunction.