What do I do if my husband abandons me and our two children? 23 Answers as of July 03, 2013

He is moving out of our rented house and does not intend to pay rent, bills, or purchase food. I am unemployed and have been for most of our 7 year marriage.

If he moves out, file for divorce and ask for temporary orders ASAP. Do not wait until he has starved you out and put you in even worse dire straights. Take any money he leaves behind, find a lawyer ask for temporary support and the court will make him at least share his resources with you until the divorce is final. Meanwhile, start looking into getting a friend or family member to help with child care and start looking for a job. You will need it. Alimony does not exist in Texas and the worst thing you can do is sit back and wait thinking you will be financially cared for post divorce. It is not going to happen, in Texas, everyone has to support themselves.
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
If you can obtain financial assistance to do so, you should obtain an attorney and file for divorce. If you cannot, file for support in juvenile court on your own.
Law Office of James Bordonaro
Law Office of James Bordonaro | James Albert Bordonaro
You should seek a temporary petition for child support and ask that the court require him to continue to pay rent as the kids have a greater need to maintain stability. The next step is to apply for food stamps and other temporary public assistance. In that regard, SRS may be of some help as they are entitled to collect any amounts that it pays out to you.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
File an OSC re support.
File and serve your husband with a petition for divorce and a motion for child and spousal support.
    Alfred Law Firm
    Alfred Law Firm | Janice Alfred
    You can file a petition for divorce and ask for alimony and child support. You can also petition the court for child support if you are not ready to file for divorce.
    Horizons Law Group, LLC
    Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
    You need to file a support action or a divorce/legal separation action and request a hearing right away for support and other orders.
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
    First and foremost, you should apply to your local family court for child support if he is moving out. Since you are unable to pay for your children on your own, you want a court order directing him to make payments to at least support your children. Additionally, you can file for divorce from your husband if you can claim that there has been a breakdown in the relationship for at least 6 months. As part of the divorce proceeding, you can ask for monthly maintenance payments from your husband. It is important to note that a divorce matter supersedes family court matters, and usually covers all the pertinent issues that would normally be dealt with in family court such as child custody, child support, and visitation rights.
    You need to file for divorce because until you do your husband can do just about anything he wants to do. You need to consult an attorney about how to start the divorce and get the court to order alimony and child support.
    Lawsmith, The Law Office of J. Scott Smith
    Lawsmith, The Law Office of J. Scott Smith | J. Scott Smith
    Get a family lawyer. You may be able to pursue Post Separation Support and Alimony amongst other things. Most attorneys charge some type of consultation fee for this but it could save you thousands of dollars just by consulting with a family lawyer.
    You should file for divorce and seek temporary orders providing for your support.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    The quick answer is to file a complaint for custody and child support with the Family Court. I would also request that you file a motion for temporary child support and custody once the complaint is filed. Hour husband will be responsible to support based upon 25% of his adjusted gross income. There are also social services programs that you might want to consider. An attorney can also assist you. While your husband could be responsible for the attorney fees, you still might be responsible for your own attorney fees.
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
    You should file for a divorce (abandonment) and ask for child support. If he refuses to pay his new residence will be the County lock-up. Then you should get a job and raise your children.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    If your husband does leave you and the children, abandoning you, there are several things that I think you should look into doing. First, you should apply for public assistance. Second, you should start looking for a job. Third, you should hire someone to start your divorce, including temporary orders. If your husband is working, you may be able to get child support and perhaps some maintenance.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    Go to the Family Part of the county court house where you live and file a complaint for spousal and child support. There is no filing fee. You should have a lawyer help you, but the Court will attempt to give you an equitable result.
    Well, the first thing may be to go to Family Court andmake a Petition for Child Support and Maintenance for yourself and the children. If he fails to pay whatever the court orders, then the Family Court will eventually put him in jail until he comes up with the money. Usually that happens in a couple of hours because they are wilfully refusing to pay the money, not because they don't have any. Next,sue him for Divorce andask the Supreme Court to incorporate within the final Judgment of Divorce any Family Court supportOrders signed by Family Court Judges. That will at least give you some support money with which to try to piece your life back together until you can get back on your feet and find a job of your own.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    File for social services and for a divorce.
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
    I would not wait until he moves out. I would seek a court order to require him to meet the obligations of my household. In the event husband chooses to disregard the court's order, the court will hold him in contempt, and he could end up in jail, or the court could garnish his wages, or the court could require him to hand over all of your resources, e.g., savings, investment accounts, etc. And, I would start looking for work.
    File for divorce and then for spousal and child support. You can seek assistance from the Department of Child Support to establish a child support only order if you wish.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    You need to file a petition for divorce and ask for child support and spousal support. You can also file a suit for separate maintenance. Consult an attorney about which is the best option for you.
    AyerHoffman, LLP
    AyerHoffman, LLP | Cara Lee Thompson
    You may want to consider filing a complaint for divorce or separate support, seeking maintenance/alimony and child support therein. If you are filing for divorce, you will also want to seek a custodial determination (physical and legal custody) with regard to your children, as well as an equitable division of your marital estate.
    Bruning & Associates, PC
    Bruning & Associates, PC | Kevin Bruning
    You need to hire a competent attorney like me, file for divorce and temporary support.